Achilles’ original programs, our chapter workouts and races, have grown over the years to include participation in marathons throughout Canada and the world, as well as our Toronto based signature 5KSt Patrick’s Day Race.
Although all of our programs focus on athletics, the truth is, sports are simply the tool for accomplishing our main objective:
To bring hope, inspiration and the joys of achievement to all people with disabilities.
Goals and Objectives
- Establish training programs for the disabled including organizing weekly running activities, long-distance wheelchair workouts and individual coaching.
- Encourage and provide assistance to disabled athletes to participate in running events including marathons organized by the Achilles Canada or other affiliated Achilles Chapters.
- Encourage and provide an opportunity for the non-disabled athletes and disabled athletes to participate in runs together.
- Establish and maintain a world-wide network of chapters that together, encourage and assist members of Achilles to participate in mainstream running events such at the annual New York City Marathon, the St. Patrick’s 5K Run and the Canadian International Marathon.
- Develop training and running programs that are suitable for the needs of disabled children, adults and seniors.